Wednesday, March 30, 2011

welcome home, west wind

In 2000, my mom took my sister and me to Italy.  It was a great trip.  We did a tour with Globus which eliminated three strong personalities from fighting over what to do - all we had to do was show up and soak in the beauty of the country.

Lunch in Verona

I can't remember which town it was, but we were wandering through an outdoor market of sorts and my sister spotted these terracotta masks.  SO perfect.  Large enough to not get lost amongst other tchotchkes, but small enough to fit in our carry-on suitcases.  She went with a very scary Medusa, I went with a sweeter West Wind.  At least I'm assuming it's the West Wind.  No snakes coming out of his head to signify exactly who he is.  And who cares that they were probably mass produced?  We still bought them in Italy so they're still special to me.


Zephyrus lived at home with me for several years, but when I moved to my current office at work, I decided to bring him in.  He lived happily on the same wall for years, but then I recently rearranged things and got rid of the second desk (and hopefully will not have to bring it back in!) and decided that it was time to bring him home.

And he's perfect in the blank space above my little dresser!


What's that?  You want to get a better look at how I've rearranged my TV bookcase?  Okay, no need to twist my arm or anything.  Here it is with the flash so you can see the detail a little better.  It's not perfect, but it works.  And I'll probably rearrange it before the summer's out.  I like a bookcase that evolves.


I really like using flowers to balance out the birdcage, though ultimately I'd like to put a lamp there and get rid of the floor lamp.  Though wall sconces would be even better!

sorry for the dark photos - if I wait until I have good light in my living room, I'll never end up posting any pictures!

No comments: