Friday, July 29, 2011

If I...were decorating this Capitol Hill rowhouse

The Washington Post had an article yesterday about a Capitol Hill house with an fab rooftop deck with views of the Capitol and Washington Monument.  Being consumed with jealousy, I quickly started looking for my own rowhouse and found this cute little house.  It's in a great location - just a few blocks from Pennsylvania Ave and Eastern Market and right on East Capitol St, which means that it should have a great view of the Capitol from its roof.  Well, it might.  It's a two-story house in a block of three-story houses.  But the Italiante style is just so charming that I'm going to pretend that there's a view.


Inside is just as charming, but today I'm going to focus only on the living room.  It's right as you enter the house, the way most DC rowhouses are, and while it seems quite narrow, it's also doesn't seem as narrow as some other houses I've visited in Capitol Hill.  I'm going to assume that the chandelier and mirror come with the house (or can be negotiated for during settlement) because they're GORGEOUS and perfect.  If they don't come with the house, I'd search for their exact replicas.


Decorating this house, I went for something a bit glam but still with some Bohemian touches. 


I love the straight lines and nailhead trim on the white couch - I'd have two of them facing each other.  Probably loveseats since the room is so narrow.  To soften the lines, I'd go with a round coffee table in gold to pump up the gilt factor in here.  It's also a bit modern, a bit Deco, so contrasts with the chandelier.  Then facing the doorway would be  two peacock chairs. So fabulous! Wouldn't you want to come into a room that greeted you with these?

Growing up, I always loved the octagon side table in the living room so I found that gave a similar vibe - and then added another all in gold. Twin 1960's Murano glass lamps on top add some more circles and some more color.  I'm going with all different shades of green, teal, turquoise and aqua.

On the other side of the couches would be square wood & brass tables with curvy gold lamps on top.  More gold, more modern, more contrast. (I'd have two sets of these, but ran out of room in the picture!)

The cowhide stool adds more seating and also breaks up the formality of the room.

Then, an overdyed rug on the floor.  I've been in love with these since I first heard about them, but never pictured one in a room before.  But I can't imagine anything different in this one.

What do you think?

All furniture from Tonic Home, Horchow and ABC Carpet & Home

1 comment:

Alison at Wardrobe Oxygen said...

Love it. Better be a guest room in that house for me!