Thursday, February 25, 2010

state of the spare room

It's Crappy Camera Picture Day at My Mint Green House!

Seriously, sorry for the quality of these pictures but I knew if I took them with my regular camera they wouldn't get up here for at least a week and I was itching to write about my spare room.

My house has two bedrooms so one is my bedroom and the other, well, I'm not really sure. Originally I called it the Guest Room. After the move, it became the Scary Room because I just dumped everything that didn't have an easy home somewhere else. I've since moved some stuff to the attic and reorganized others so it's not as scary anymore. And so I'm calling it the Spare Room.

There's still too much of an unorganized mess in there so the view as you turn the corner is of the closed door.














I added to the mess when I brought up the ugly bar and my old TV.
Behind you can see unpacked boxes, clothes to donate or sell, a jewelry box my sister gave me that's much too small but too pretty to get rid of, and yes, that's a mini-trampoline in the back. Can't even figure out how to close that sucker so it just sits there unused and unloved.


If you can avoid looking at the TV, this corner is actually the first thing you'd see when walking in the room. My small attempt at organizing the space.

I squeezed all of my books into these two bookcases and added all the tchotchkes that were spread out in my old apartment. Each time I move I like less and less clutter of small, decorative items so I know I'll get around to paring these down as well. But as I moved stuff around, I ended up with boxes and other crap right in front of the bookcases and putting other random stuff there so it's not quite as pretty anymore.

It's a small space. A twin-sized bed would be perfect. A full-sized bed MIGHT fit, but you'd probably have to squeeze your way around it even pushed up against the wall. I want a designated place for guests to sleep and my mom is giving me my childhood bed as soon as I have room for it/a way to transport it. It's just a twin so I guess I should make that "a designated place for one guest."

I also have office-y type stuff. Books, magazines, notebooks, manuals. Pens, resume paper (though I haven't sent one out in over 9 years), mementos from trips. And then there's all the random stuff that's too delicate for the attic.

What to do? Well, I think I figured it out.

I had seen Making It Lovely's office and loved how she used colored boxes against white bookcases.


It looked like a basic Ikea bookcase and that's so in my budget. But I'm not 100% sold on the Expedit. I love the idea of making an entire square a cabinet or a drawer, but not so much that you can't change the height or width of the squares. And the Ikea inserts only come in red, black and white.

Perhaps Billy would be better? 
I saw this picture on Apartment Therapy. Lots of books, colored boxes holding crap, random vases and tchotchkes, a frame or two. Fab.

But I'm not sure I like the randomness of the shelf heights. Or how the boxes overhang an inch or so. It's a little messy and after living with a Scary Room for six months, I'm craving order. So I'm going to measure the space and take a trip to Ikea. I have a feeling I'll end up with Expedit in white with white inserts.

Either way, I'm excited because as soon as I get the bookcases in and stuff in them, this room should be cleared out enough to get the bed in! Yay!

No comments: