Thursday, February 25, 2010

pictures!

I have curtains!

This makes me wildly excited, though they're darker than what I had in my head. Of course, I can't really articulate what was in my head so here I am with navy velvet curtains.

And here they are closed:



















When I was trying to figure out the height, I almost stopped at halfway between the window and crown moldings, but then realized that if I'm going to encourage others to put their curtains all the way, I should do the same. So I did.

Here are the curtains open:


















I really need new blinds, even if it's just quality roller blinds instead of these cheap vinyl ones that came with the house. But they work (for the most part) and currently most roller blinds are recalled for faulty parts and I'd rather get them when there's a lot to choose from.


















I haven’t hemmed the curtains yet so they pool on the floor.

Not really a fan of this look unless it’s REALLY pooled and the rest of the room is over-the-top fabulous. My room is definitely not over-the-top and I plan on opening and closing the panels a lot so don’t want to have to bother rearranging them every time so they just look messy. Luckily these curtains came with stitch-witchery type stuff so I can just iron them to the right height right where they are. Love it.

















The curtains in the picture above are open to the very end of the baseboard heater, but… If I just tuck it around the little shelf left by the previous owners, I’m fully clear of the heating element. No tie-backs required.

And if it’s super cold out (you know, like it is right now), I can puddle the curtains on top of the shelf so the windows are completely covered but I can have the heat on full-blast. Though my house is so chilly, I may get a space heater.

















Finally, here’s a shot of my current TV set-up. Yeah, it’s a little sad.

The bookcase is too narrow to fit the narrow stack of DTV converter, DVD player and iPod speaker (and I didn’t want to mess with the back of the bookcase) so I have a beat-up old stool supporting them. My antenna is crappy (new one coming in the mail!) so I have it on another stool so I can move it closer to the window when I want to watch something other than Fox, ABC or CW. Oh – and My20 or whatever that station is calling itself now. That comes in pretty easily, though seldom has anything I want to watch. Fingers crossed that I don't have to resort to cable!

Anyway, this bookcase was in my kitchen holding all of my cookbooks so I just transferred it all out here. Kinda makes sense since this is where I pore through them. My kitchen isn’t conducive to hanging out.

The closet to the right holds my water heater and the back of my fridge. There’s also a very narrow space where I have my ironing board, stepladder and a couple of folding chairs so I need to leave clearance to get inside.

I’m not sure how I feel about the lamp and I need to hang my great-aunt’s quilt on the wall (or some other art), though I’m waiting until I figure out the TV stand so I don’t have to rehang anything. It’s not terribly pretty, but it’s organized and works for now!

No comments: