Monday, August 30, 2010

my first freecycle!

Okay, it shouldn't really be called "mine" because my sister did it for me, but it's my item!

For my old apartment's galley kitchen, I got a kitchen cart from Target.  I loved this thing.  Narrow enough that I could easily move around it, but wide enough to provide much needed counter space.  It was maybe too country-ish for my taste, but had a drop-leaf side that a Parsons console wouldn't - and that was key for rolling out pie doughs or party prep when I needed even more counter space.  And it was $100-120.  Love it.  I used this thing happily for about 5 years.

My GHI also has a galley kitchen, but the previous owner had added a shelf on the opposite wall.  No need for my cart.  For a while, I had it hanging out on the wall between the kitchen and the living area.  But then I got a new-to-me flatscreen TV and put that on a bookcase and moved the dresser to that wall.  The cart went upstairs to the scary spare room.  And as soon as it went up there, I wanted it out of the house.  It's still very functional, but just not for my house.

My sister told me to put it on Freecycle.  Brilliant!  But...I didn't take pictures.  And the weeks slipped by.

I randomly looked at Freecycle one day and a woman was asking for a kitchen cart!  I emailed her and offered mine and sent a picture from Target's website.  She said it was perfect and would come by on Saturday to pick it up.  Saturday rolled around and her ride fell through so she couldn't get it.  I was so bummed.  And now the cart was back in my living room.

The weeks went by.

Finally, Friday night my sister was at my house because her husband was teaching a yoga class at their's.  She pulled out her camera and took a few pictures of my cart and posted it on Freecycle this morning.  And someone responded!  She's was ready for immediate pickup, but I'm at work.  I responed that I'd be home after 8 (may be earlier, but I wanted to be safe) or I could leave it outside tomorrow.  She responded that that works.   Not really sure which one, but I guess if she doesn't come by tonight I'll just leave it out tomorrow.  But I'm so excited!

Here are the pictures my sister took.  The pink blur in the second and third pictures is my niece, Emerson.


 
Update: the woman emailed me yesterday afternoon to let me know that she had picked it up around 11am.  How sweet!

No comments: