Thursday, August 18, 2011

small updates to my bedroom

My mom was over for a visit last week and commented that every time she comes over, my bedroom is different and it's true. I had a general idea in my head of what I wanted the room to look like, but it was pretty vague, which has left a lot of space for switching things up. The constants have been my pink bedspread, the purple end tables and the overall layout of the room. And then the bed and chiffonier aren't going anywhere. The bed is 12 years old, from Ikea and threatens to break with every move, but when it does finally fall apart (for good - I've repaired it twice), I will run out to Ikea and buy their new version of it. I just love it.

So what changes are the accents. First I paired brown & orange with the pink. I kinda loved it, but the comforter was too hot and then I discovered my love of patterned sheets. I tried out some green and white ones, but I didn't like the consistency of the fabric. It was just too slippery.

Then I found a pink paisley Ralph Lauren sateen set at Marshall's. I was a little concerned about the sateen - would it also be too slippery?  Nope, it was just as crisp as crisp could be - and doesn't wrinkle a bit. I do feel like it's starting to fade, but that could be my imagination.

I also swap out the pillows. Seems like whenever I tire of a pillow in my living room, it ends up being perfect in my bedroom and then I'm always on the hunt for the perfect rectangular pillow so I can have just one long one. For now, I'm down to two small rectangles which give the right effect.


To add warmth and the weight I love, I have a gray quilt from Target. Maybe it'd be a darker shade of gray, but it works. And I'm a big fan of gray with the brown furniture and the gold pulls.


See how a bigger rectangle of just one pattern would be better? Now if I can only find it...

Then I FINALLY hung more art in the room! I've always had the small painting above one of the end tables, but the other side of the room was just hungry for something big. And then my mom offered up a painting of my grandfather's that had always hung in our cellar (he was such a prolific painter that we had 1/2 a dozen paintings in the cellar growing up, just overflow from the rest of the house). The colors and size were right and it even has a gold frame! How perfect!


This side of my bedroom is never perfectly styled and even though my box of scarves is overflowing, I consider this a fairly successful shoot. At least all of my camisoles and tank tops are actually IN the baskets in the little white bookcase at the right!

Still need to paint and I still want to make it a super pale, almost white, inside-a-shell pink. Now that I have the painting, it's really helping me narrow down the options. Stay tuned!

No comments: